Saturday 2 February 2013

Sunny Southsea

I hadn't been to Portsmouth for a photo-taking trip for quite a few years so decided to go over to Southsea on the hovercraft (Freedom 90 was the craft in use today) for a couple of hours today (I was also meeting an old friend who I hadn't seen for a number of years, so it was nice to catch up over a pint).

There wasn't a lot on the move, as it's still in the depths of winter, although I did catch Commodore Clipper, Mont St. Michel, St. Faith and Wight Ryder II. Again, like most trips of late, it's as much about a change of scene as anything else.

Commodore Clipper was on her way out, on her regular sailing to the Channel Islands...




...while Mont St. Michel was on her way in. Unfortunately, the sun was in the wrong place - or rather, I was in the wrong place relative to the sun - and the photos are washed out, but I won't complain too much as it's just nice to see the sun, instead of endless gloom.











Wight Ryder II was also approaching, on her regular run from Ryde PH


WR II's larger colleague St. Faith left the harbour on her way over to Fishbourne. The youngest of the Saint class ships, St. Faith entered service in 1990. Of all the Solent car ferries over the years, the Saint class are my favourites not least for the fact that they have a bow and stern, rather than being double-ended.




I am currently doing a temporary job for the next few weeks. It's a pretty crummy filing job, which has another three weeks to run, but when it finishes, I am planning a few days on the continent, taking photos at Calais, Ostende and - hopefully - the Hook of Holland. Of course, this depends on finances.