Monday 25 February 2013

Saga Sapphire

As I finished work at lunchtime, thanks to a dentist appointment early this afternoon, I decided to go and photograph Saga Sapphire passing Cowes in the late afternoon. She was due to leave Southampton at 1600, but was a little late. My friends Patricia and Kevin Dempsey were coming over from Southampton to photograph the ship, for a different viewpoint and change of scene. Not only that, they got to sit in my reasonably warm car, rather than freeze in Mayflower Park!
As it happened, the weather was grim. Cold - no, actually it wasn't merely cold, it was bloody freezing - very cloudy and darker than it otherwise would have been and, as I had yet again forgotten to bring a pair of gloves, my fingers froze to the point of severe pain. As I type, they still hurt a bit. I seriously question my own judgement at times!

The photos were passable, no more than that. I tried to bring them out a little with Photoshop and correct a blue cast, but the dull, dark and murky conditions made getting decent shots impossible. Still, it was nice to see my friends again and also to see this ship, which I'd not seen as Saga Sapphire.

Here are the photos which did come out -







After dropping Patsy and Kevin back at the Red Jet, I headed for home via the Cowes chain ferry - with the car heater turned up full!

CMA CGM Marco Polo was back at Southampton today. Unfortunately I had to miss her again, due to work. I was only working three hours today and did half consider ditching work to go and photograph her coming in, claiming toothache (I'd broken a tooth on Saturday but it didn't actually hurt) but, decided to do the honest thing and turn up for work instead. Third time lucky, next time she's in...?