Friday 18 January 2013

White-out

For the last few days, the forecasts promised snow but, as of last night, although it was snowing elsewhere, we had rain, meaning that my "inner child" was rather disappointed (what is it about snow that can turn a lot of adults into small kids?)!
However, when I let my dog out at 0630 there was a thin coverlet on the lawn and the white stuff was coming down thick and fast with the result that, by 0800, the world was white.



With one of my cats wondering what was going on! Actually both cats were fascinated, having never seen snow before.



Back to all things nautical, it looks as if the QE2 is going to have a change of scene. She has entered dry dock in Dubai with a view to being used as a floating hotel in the far East or South East Asia somewhere, operated by Oceanic Hotels who appear to be leasing the ship from Istithmar World, with an option to purchase her after 10 years, according to the QE2 Story Forum. It could be Hong Kong, it could be Singapore but, as usual, Dubai are saying nothing. Given their track record of saying things which then don't come to pass (i.e. Cape Town), I'll believe it when I see it. I read things about 'preserving' the ship but, to be honest, the work that would need to be done to convert a 44 year old worn-out liner into something approaching the level of luxury that people these days are prepared to pay good money to stay in, would surely have to involve gutting the ship, thereby removing all her identity apart from the outer shell (and how badly will they cock that up?). I hope she does well and I wish her the best of luck, but I can't help feeling sorry that the QE2 London bid seems to be dead in the water.

I've seen a photo on Dover Ferry Photos Forum (join to view but it is worth it if you are interested in the eastern Channel ferry scene) of Ostend Spirit, the former Pride of Calais, in her new TransEuropa Ferries colours, and she looks gorgeous. I can't wait to go and see her for myself in the spring. However, I still feel very sad about her sister, Pride of Dover, now a victim of the breakers' torches at Aliaga.
Edit: She arrived back in Ostend today and photos of her in her new finery are on Dover Ferry Photos website, under MV Ostend Spirit - Past and Present (you don't need to register to view the page). She looks great, although the lettering on the sides needs to be finished.