Thursday 10 January 2013

Southampton, 10th January 2013

There were no less than six cruise ships in Southampton today, five of which were scheduled to be there - Azura, Black Watch, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Rotterdam - and one which wasn't, Saga Ruby, which had broken down with failure of a crankshaft, delaying her world cruise by at least ten days. This is a particular shame because it is her final world cruise, as she is scheduled to be withdrawn early next year - any more of this sort of thing and it might be earlier.
I decided to go over, for my first photography expedition of 2013, as, again, it's a much-desired change of scene and, besides, I remember the days, back in the 1980s and 1990s when all you ever got in Southampton, as far as passenger ships go, were QE2 and Canberra a couple of times a month plus, if you were lucky, Maksim Gorkiy, Achille Lauro, Norway and Stefan Batory would put in the occasional appearance. I also find that, if visits are planned round cruise ship calls, other things fall into place and there are other ships to see and photograph.

As I set off - ridiculously early - there was light rain in the air and it was slightly foggy, so I hoped it would clear off by the time I actually reached Southampton. I intended to get the 0715 Red Jet as I was planning to go over to Hythe, meet some ship-spotting Facebook friends and photograph Rotterdam coming in. She was due to dock at 0930 so I decided to get to the marina at 0830 to meet the others, my friends Daniel Gosling - 'SatNavDan' on YouTube - John Kennedy and his wife Roz, plus Kevin Dempsey (PD and Rob Ellerington-Parr were still on Queen Mary 2, having done a sly Transatlantic without telling anyone! I'd meet them later). On all the previous occasions I'd gone to Hythe by sea, the ferry in use had been Great Expectations ('Low Expectations' to its enemies) so I was pleased to see the old Hotspur IV was to be my transport.

The view from Town Quay at sunrise. The sky was now partly clear but this state of affairs wouldn't last, of course.



We passed Grande Anversa (IMO 9287417, built in 2004, 38651 GT, Italian flag), on her way in


Grande Anversa was assisted by Svitzer Ferriby



Saga Ruby and Queen Mary 2 - one is struck by how minute Saga Ruby looks, next to the huge Azura and Queen Mary 2. A point not well-illustrated by this photo, though.








A dramatic sky as the newly-risen sun was promptly covered by clouds. As someone also interested in astronomy, I believe that clouds always know when you want a decent clear sky and act accordingly by making an unwelcome entrance. It was very cold at Hythe marina, and the clouds looked distinctly snowy, although none fell.



Azura and Saga Ruby



It wasn't long before Rotterdam was spotted passing the refinery and she soon reached us at Hythe.







Patsy and Rob were also watching Rotterdam, but from the more salubrious (and equally cold) surroundings of the Deck 11 Observation area just below Queen Mary 2's bridge.


The car carrier Texas (IMO 8204963, built in 1984, 66635 GT, Norwegian flag) and dredger Sand Heron (IMO: 8900701, built in 1990, 3751 GT, UK flag) were in


And Hotspur IV passed us as she went to and from Town Quay



And feeder container ship Jessica B (IMO 9226384, built in 2000, 6236 GT, Antigua and Barbuda flag), a regular visitor, arrived, as I was on my way back to the top of Hythe Pier on my way back to Southampton.



And Red Jet 4 passes Queen Mary 2


Queen Mary 2 looking spectacular, as usual, against a wintery sky



We went our separate ways not long after Rotterdam had docked. After a coffee in a village-centre café, I headed back to the Hythe ferry, meeting Patsy and Rob on the pier where we had a brief chat.



I tried an 'artistic shot' which I think was at least partly successful



I took as many photos of Saga Ruby as possible because, after this year, there will be no more opportunities







Naturally, a Red Funnel got in the way of photos. It was rather sad to see Red Eagle's Union Flag funnel had reverted to its more usual plain red.




Once off the Hythe ferry, I had time for a few distance shots of Black Watch and Queen Victoria. Perhaps I should have walked round to Mayflower Park, but I was freezing and couldn't be bothered, so I contented myself with shooting them from TQ. Queen Victoria was a waste of time, as she was too far away and lost in the murk, but I took the picture anyway.
That disgrace of a wrecked Royal Pier needs to be knocked down. Now. It looks awful and interferes with long-distance ship photos.




I caught the 1145 Red Jet back to Cowes. I had a kind of embarrassing experience when getting off the bus at the park and ride, I have a bad back (again!) and my left leg keeps giving way, especially after been sitting for a while, and that's exactly what it did as I got to get off the bus, resulting in me sitting down rather hard on the step! It wasn't a fall as such, but I still felt a bit of a prat! I just hope no-one thought I was pissed...

Anyway, I have now only just thawed out, although the tips of my fingers and toes would beg to differ.

Video of Rotterdam arriving at Southampton: