Wednesday 10 April 2013

Happy 18th, Oriana

Yesterday, 9th April 2013, was the 18th anniversary of P&O Cruises' Oriana entering service. Her maiden voyage was on 9th April 1995. I'd gone to Cowes to see her and had to stand on the roof of my car to take photos as it was incredibly busy on Cowes Parade and I got jostled.
The following photo was taken, handheld, with a Nikon F3 and a Tokina 400mm telephoto - a lens I was very proud of at the time but now, looking back, it was actually crap! This is a scan from a print, itself scanned from a slide.


At the time I never thought I'd ever get the chance to sail aboard such a ship but, 17 years later I did, when I went on a four-night cruise to Amsterdam and Zeebrugge, sailing from Southampton on the night of the Grand Event.
It's a pity that P&O only ordered one of these, plus the near-sister Aurora, of course. Two or three more Orianas would have been nice, rather than the mixed bag of ships they have now, although I would quite like to sail on Arcadia and Adonia (the two huge ones, Azura and Ventura really don't interest me) and I am going on Aurora in a couple of weeks.

Here are a few of the pretty ship I have taken recently...

...in the Solent, from Queen Mary 2, November 2012




In Amsterdam, 4th July 2012



At Southampton, on the day of the Grand Event, 3rd July 2012



And in Southampton, June 2012