Tuesday 30 April 2013

Crown Princess and Norwegian Breakaway

Norwegian Breakaway set off on her maiden voyage from Southampton this evening, so I went to East Cowes to photograph her passing by on her way to New York. I missed her arrival yesterday due to laziness and, in any case I overslept, as she was arriving at 0715, which meant me having to get up at 0500 to get to a suitable vantage point.
Before the Breakaway departed from Southampton, Crown Princess slipped away first, her time of 1600 having been changed to 1630, which suited me as I would have missed her because I couldn't leave for East Cowes before 1630.









Norwegian Breakaway wasn't far behind. Unfortunately it was this moment that the yachts chose to appear in droves in their usual irritating fashion, seemingly materialising as if by magic from thin air.

Bloody yachts.















I know the art work on the hull and the design are not everyone's cup of tea - and I can hear the traditionalists spluttering into their beards 'not a ship, doesn't look like a ship, grumble' - but I like this ship, a lot, and I didn't think I would. I wouldn't give the art house room but I think it looks good on her.

Before the cruise ships appeared, Hoegh Trooper arrived from the east, on her way up to the docks. She took me by surprise as I was putting the dogs back into the car and my camera was still in its bag.