Thursday 2 August 2012

Rare birds

Two rare visitors came to Southampton today, 2nd August 2012. Mein Schiff 2 arrived first, followed by Holland-America's Maasdam. A couple of months ago I put my name down for a tour of Maasdam and duly received a confirmation email, so I went over to Southampton on the (appallingly early) 0715 Red Jet. Maasdam was a little late arriving, her time being changed from 0800 to 0900 which, from our point of view, was good as we could watch and photograph her arrival.
I'll post the pictures of my visit to Maasdam in a separate post but, for now, here are the exterior photos of both cruise ships, plus other ships that were in today.

As usual, click for largest.

















I also took a quick trip to Hythe and back. Red Funnel seems - is! - expensive at nearly £20 for a day return but the Hythe crossing is also pretty pricey, this much shorter trip is £5.30 return.









Here's a video of Maasdam reversing into the Ocean Terminal