Thursday 24 November 2011

Queen Mary 2 (again)

Looking at the Southampton VTS website yesterday, I noticed that Queen Mary 2 was due to leave Southampton at 1200 today for her refit in Hamburg where her registry would also be changed from Southampton to Hamilton (Bermuda). So, I decided to put my cameras and my dog (to give her a walk at the same time) into the car and go to East Cowes to see her go past.
The ship was due to sail at 12 but, due to engine failure, she was delayed. How long this would be for, I didn't know, but I thought I'd give it to 1330 and then leave and I was about to drive off when my friend Patsy texted me to say the ship was about to depart.

Click for larger size (and better quality; these previews have been compressed).












Last look at 'Southampton' on the stern. When she comes back in a couple of weeks, it will read 'Hamilton'.
Seeing Queen Mary 2 at the docks in Southampton is one thing, seeing her on the move is quite another. Although I've seen the ship many times, she still makes you stop and look. Even some workmen downed tools to watch her go past.

And here's what she left behind, almost-surfable waves rolling into the shore, which reminds me of stories my Nan used to tell me about the first Mauretania and the havoc she caused coming up the Solent at speed (the Mauretania caused the havoc, not my Nan ;-) ). Nan lived in East Cowes and the Mauretania's wash flooded properties and knocked people off their feet every time she came past. The Mauretania was notorious and, as a result, a speed limit was introduced for vessels in the Solent.



These photos have not been sharpened; the Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens has to be one of the sharpest lenses ever made.

Here's a short piece of video I made, with my Canon 7D and 70-200mm lens. I have made several short videos and put them together in one long one. This is the last of the short pieces: