Thursday 10 April 2014

Cruise ships at Sydney

In March I went to Australia for a three week trip. It wasn't a ship spotting or photography trip but there were some to photograph and, frankly, it would have been rude not to. As well as the cruise ships and ferries at Sydney, I also went up the NSW coast to the port of Newcastle for a couple of days and photographed the bulk carriers, and tugs, using the port. First, here are the cruise ships I saw. The bulk carriers, tugs and ferries will be in separate posts.

Here's Sun Princess departing from Sydney in the late afternoon on 20th March. I'd literally arrived in Australia that afternoon but decided not to give in to jet lag. I photographed her against the light on a very sunny, hot, afternoon, hence the contrast. Not among my better photos but I didn't have much choice, really, as I was using the Opera House as my vantage point. The Opera House, by the way, is a great place to watch the ships in the harbour.





The following day, I photographed Carnival Spirit alongside Circular Quay...




...and departing in the early evening






 


...but, before Carnival Spirit left the port, Pacific Pearl had sailed



Rhapsody of the Seas on 28th March





And Pacific Jewel, photographed from the fast ferry Shane Gould as we sailed into Darling Harbour (I'd done a trip to Cockatoo Island earlier).