Saturday 11 January 2014

Farewell sweet Ruby

Just over a month ago, I thought that this would be my last-ever photo I'd take of Saga Ruby...



...but, having spent the best part of two months complaining about endless gales and rain, the recent storms actually did me a favour. In early December, I went over to Southampton to see Saga Ruby just before she departed on her final cruise, thinking I wouldn't be seeing her again because her final arrival and departure at Southampton was scheduled to be on 7th January, a Tuesday, when I would be stuck at work.
However, the recent series of storms thought otherwise, delaying Ruby and Saga Pearl II which subsequently both arrived in Southampton late on the 9th. Happily for me, that meant Saga Ruby's departure would be delayed until the afternoon of the 10th and, because I don't work Fridays, I could go over and watch her leave for the final time.

Yesterday morning was pleasant and sunny on the island but, as I approached Southampton on Red Falcon, ominous black clouds could be seen in the direction of the city and, sure enough, as I got to Mayflower Park, the heavens opened. Fortunately for me my friends Patricia Dempsey and Kev Webber were there and Kev - braving the horrendous Southampton traffic (roadworks near Dock Gate 4 are causing serious problems, with traffic backing up as far as Totton) - had his car with him so we could at least shelter from the worst of the elements (thanks Kev...). Ruby's departure time was initially 1500, then it was brought forward to 1400 before being put back to 1500 again. It was just as well, because the worst of the rain was at 1400 and had she gone then, we'd have been a group of drowned rats. As it was, it rained on and off, fortunately much lighter than it had been around 1400. It's annoying the sun couldn't stick around but, that said, I am not going to complain too much because I'm grateful to the storms for delaying her meaning I could see her!

There was a bit of a delay because the pilot had got stuck in the traffic chaos but another pilot was brought to the ship on one of the Southampton patrol boats. Also, another tug was requested. The traffic caused another delay when one or more gangway operators were also stuck in traffic but she was soon on her way.










I headed straight back to Red Funnel for the 1630 back to East Cowes but, halfway down Southampton Water, I could see Ruby in the far distance, passing Ryde. I took a highly ambitious photo at ISO stupid-thousand and 2 stops underexposed and hoped to salvage something in DPP, which I did.
Here is the award-winning prize shot, underexposed, noisy, over sharpened and compressed...


My final view of her was as I drove home along the Downs Road on the Island, heading back to Newchurch, and I could see her passing Sandown Bay. She now heads to Gibraltar before going to Asia - rumoured Burma or Singapore - where she will be used as a hotel.

Here is a short video of her departure.