Saturday 14 December 2013

70D

I bought a 70D as a back up to my 6D last week, replacing a 600D I'd originally got as a back up in May but didn't like. It arrived at the shop while I was at work last Tuesday so my aunt, who was going into town anyway, collected it for me. However, as I don't see daylight from Monday to Thursday and yesterday was wet, I hadn't had a chance to try it out properly until today.
I went to East Cowes with my aunt and Monty the puppy this morning, mostly for a shopping trip to Waitrose but also to give Monty a walk and for me to point the new camera at anything nautical that might pass in front of the lens. Unfortunately ships were thin on the ground but the Red Funnel car ferry Red Falcon obliged.




Monty


Molly, at home before we left



The 70D is very much like my old 7D in a lot of ways, especially the AF system. It doesn't feel as robust as the 7D did and the controls are a little different but, otherwise, it's very similar. The image quality is much better than the 600D but - as to be expected - not as good as the 6D, because the 6D has a full-frame sensor while the 70D has an APS-C sensor. I don't have to do much to 6D images and never have to add sharpening but the 70D files need a little sharpening as the 600D, 7D, 40D and 20D (and my past Nikons) did before them.
I'm off to Southampton tomorrow - that's the plan at the moment - for Christmas shopping so hopefully I'll have more photos to post, although the weather forecast is utterly dismal.