Saturday 16 March 2013

CMA CGM Titan and Suzuka Express

Last week, I offloaded my 7D and a load of surplus lenses, plus some astronomical equipment which was also surplus to requirements, part exchanging the lot for a Canon 6D full frame DSLR and 24-105mm L-series zoom. I did keep my 100-400mm zoom, of course, but that was the only survivor. That lot covered the cost of the new stuff - just! - and, as the 6D is a full-frame camera, it should mean a bit less changing of lenses and with an increase in image quality over the 7D. Another factor in my decision to change was the high ISO performance of the 6D - even ISO 25600 is usable.

Initially our cats and dogs were (unwilling) subjects - and I took a photo of Comet C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS the other evening - but today I got to test it out on ships. Container ship CMA CGM Titan and car carrier Suzuka Express were on their way into Southampton so, dodging the showers and the horrendous Newport traffic (British Gas have got no less than two main roads into and out of the town up for gas main replacement...coupled with a joke of a one-way system and more traffic lights than necessary, it's causing even worse congestion than usual), I went to Cowes at lunchtime to photograph them.



















Ships' details:
CMA CGM Titan - IMO: 9399222, built: 2011, 131332 gt, flag: Malta
Suzuka Express - IMO: 9448073, built: 2010, 43810 gt, flag: Philippines

The files are much nicer and cleaner than those of the 7D. With that camera, there was noise even at low ISOs although that was easily dealt with using noise reduction software but with the 6D there is no noise whatsoever, unless you go to very high ISOs indeed (like the aforementioned 25600 ISO). Post-processing is a little more challenging than it was for the 7D files and I have done hardly anything to these files, just a shadows/highlights tweak and resize for the web. I think I need to expose to the right a smidge more than I did with the 7D.
There are two downsides to the new toy, however - no grid in the viewfinder which means even more wonky horizons need to be straightened, and it uses SD/SDHC cards, meaning my CF cards are now redundant, but at least it shares the same batteries as the 7D, so I kept one back as a spare.

Annie at 25600 ISO - with NO noise reduction. No, I haven't mistyped it, it really is 25600 ISO.