Wednesday 26 September 2012

Waverley

The paddle steamer Waverley is making her annual visit to the Solent this week. I spotted her in Southampton Water this morning, making her way towards the Isle of Wight, under threatening skies.

As my mobile is crap as a stills camera, I used the video feature, which is not great (also crap, really) but is useful in the absence of anything else. Because of the weather, it has come out pretty dark. I also used portrait mode.




The UK is currently experiencing vast amounts of rainfall, with flooding and damage all over the country, thanks to a very deep low which has tropical air mixed in with it, aided and abetted by our nemesis the jet stream. As I headed towards Southampton this morning the sky was the blackest I have ever seen it. Last time I saw a sky this colour, it was on a science fiction film at the beginning of an alien invasion. No aliens today, (un)fortunately, but there were some torrential cloudbursts and I got soaked to the skin, despite wearing a waterproof jacket.