Tuesday 26 June 2012

New lens

For ages I have been using Canon 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/4 L and 400mm f/5.6 L lenses but having nothing to fill the 200mm to 400mm gap did become a bit of a handicap at times. I was using a 1.4x Canon teleconverter on the 70-200 f/4 lens but the results, while not bad, weren't as good as those achieved using just the bare lens.
I'd been considering a longer zoom lens for a while and, although I already have a 400mm telephoto, I decided to get a Canon 100-400mm L IS zoom, which arrived this morning. That way, I have the 18-300mm range covered, with both my lenses, plus 301-400mm whenever needed. I am keeping the 400mm, simply because a prime is always sharper than the equivalent focal length on a zoom lens, plus the AF is faster; I do a lot of bird photography and it is the best lightweight birding lens there is, but if I find myself using the zoom at 400mm all the time, then I'll have to consider offloading the prime.

Here are a few pics, taken today at Seaview. The summer continues to disappoint and today was grey, misty, humid and thoroughly depressing. The murk washes all colour and contrast out of pictures and makes processing them an annoying challenge. That apart, I am pleased with the lens and it also makes my camera bag a couple of pounds lighter!

As usual, click for largest and better quality

Pont-Aven


NYK Vega
All being well, my next post will be of the P&O Big Event in Southampton next Tuesday, 3rd July - will it please actually be summery for a change!