Sunday 20 May 2012

The big P&O Party in July

On 3rd July 2012, there will be the big P&O bash celebrating their 175th Anniversary, when all seven of their current cruise fleet will be in Southampton. I haven't given it much thought, beyond planning to go to Southampton that day, take photos, return to the island and watch them all sail past Cowes in the evening or go to Culver Down if Cowes and East Cowes were too busy. I wasn't planning to join the special Red Funnel trip, although I had thought about it, not at £55 (plus we still have to pay to get to Southampton to join the cruise and home again later - and my email to RF asking about this didn't receive a reply so sod 'em. A 'no, sorry' would have been fine, but no reply is just rude) and the timings are awkward for Isle of Wight residents because the RF cruises don't begin and end here, only in Southampton.

Anyway, out of the blue on Wednesday I get a text from my good friend Patricia Dempsey who is going to be sailing on Oriana that evening (I was mildly envious). Patsy's text said that a friend who was supposed to be also going on Oriana with her can't, after all, make the trip - a four night cruise to Amsterdam and Zeebrugge - it's already paid for and would I like to come along? Is the Pope's religious leaning Catholic? But I initially said 'no' as I am flat broke after a trip to the USA in April and some extortionate vets' bills for my dog a couple of weeks ago, but after some gentle persuasion (although admittedly it didn't take a lot) I caved in and said 'count me in!'. Just as well I didn't fork out £55 for a Red Funnel ticket!

It should be a great trip and a marvellous occasion in Southampton. I'm going on an hour-long Blue Funnel Harbour trip at 1130, as is Patsy, and once that's over, we'll head to the City Terminal (Berth 101) and the ship.


Oriana at Southampton, December 2009