Tuesday 28 September 2010

Cowes, September 28th 2010

I have a seasonal job delivering tourist booklets to various places around the island. This, of course, brings me to the beaches, so my camera comes along just in case I come across anything of interest, including ships, of course.
Today, I was in West Cowes so I parked in Queens Road and took my camera - and dog, who was with me - for a walk. There wasn't much about, whether ships or birds, just Red Osprey, the dredger City of Chichester, Hartland Point and Red Jet 3.

Red Osprey

City of Chichester

Hartland Point

Red Jet 3 passing Hartland Point

The weather was crap, very grey and murky so I didn't hang about and, after buying a far-too-milky cup of tea from the cafe I went back to the car. On the way back to the car I saw a notice, which was invisible when coming from the parking places, stating that dogs were banned from the beach between 1st April and 30th September. Oops. Although neither me or my dog actually set foot on the beach because it is all shingle and uncomfortable for both me and my dog to walk on, we did go the beach side of the cafe where there are seats, although we stayed on the paving. If I get a fixed £75 penalty through the post for (not) going on the beach, I'll be very pissed off, especially as the sign is stupidly positioned. It's a stupid by-law, especially in April and September when the weather is no good for sitting around on the beach. However, there was no dog warden around, so unless there was some curtain-twitching old busybody with nothing better to do than spy on people then I should be ok - especially as I didn't actually break the stupid by-law.