Tuesday 5 October 2010

Out of the murk

The weather's been pretty rotten just lately, with almost unending murk, rain and gales. Today was no exception, despite the sun briefly threatening to break through the gloom although, in the end, the gloom won.
My work took me to East Cowes, Ryde and Seaview this afternoon and, as usual, my camera came along in the hope of finding opportunities for bird and ship photos.
At East Cowes, I drove to the sea front but, apart from a distant view of OOCL Norfolk and Grande Europa both heading into Southampton and already past Calshot, there was not much about.
When I got to Seaview there was a bit more activity, in the form of NYK Vega, and also *something* in the distance on its way in. It looked like a normal bulk carrier with cranes but, along with the cranes were some other objects on the deck which, from a distance, looked like upside-down radio telescopes. I had no idea what the weird-looking ship was although I guessed it was some sort of bulk carrier. Through binoculars, I could read the ship's name, which was Anemona and when I got home I looked up the Southampton VTS site and it described her as 'wood chip', i.e. a bulk woodchip carrier. Also, according to Chris Brooks' ship photo site she was built in 2010 and was carrying a cargo of soya from Santos.

The photos are a bit grotty, as it was very murky, so I had to do quite a lot of tweaking in Photoshop to get them anywhere approaching 'okay'. Click on images for enlargements.

NYK Vega




Anemona